Seeings as I was not familiar with what types of effects which were commonly used in this genre of songs, I had an open mind. But i also had to keep in mind what we were capable to do as a group.
Firstly we listened to the song and thought to watch songs which reminded us of the song we had chosen.
Even though Evanescence- Bring Me to Life the song is slow paced and the total opposite to the pace of Nightmare, I thought that it captured the chilling and uneasy feel we wanted with our video.
- the use of black and white editing but then a dash of one bold colour gives the feeling of the 'underworld' are life we are not familiar with but are intrigued with. It makes the coloured object stand out and the makes whats in the frame picturesque. I thought this suited the nature of our song.
- Another effect i liked was the "waking up" clip. Her eyes jolted open when she sings the words "wake me up inside". This scene would work well in our choice of song and the fast pace of the song.
- There's a scene where there are random people in clown masks dancing in a room. I thought this seemed really odd but the it went well with the video and it stays in the audiences minds because it was not expected.
- I also liked at the end of the song, and how it ended as though it was all a dream and the where as before it was zooming into the town building this time at the end it was zooming out and fades to black.
Another song which I thought was not really similar to the genre of the chosen song but the effects would suit well was Paramore- Decode.
- I loved the fact that it was set in a forest and the video was edited to have a gloomy look but her bright red hair colour stood out. This would be remembered in the audiences mind if they were to talk about the video.
- I also loved how the camera slowly pans the forest but they're are fast editing scenes going through the trees in our point of view.
- There are close ups of the lead singer which i thought would go with the nature of our song we choose as well. And it would also involve the audience.
Also when thinking of what kind of effects i liked i thought of a picture I had taken not so long before our coursework. It gave me some inspiration on what type of mood I wanted to create for the music video. When looking at this picture it creates a sense of eeriness. I love the mist in this picture and I think that taking the picture in black and white just increased the haunted feel.
In my opinion I believe this was my inspiration that drove me towards going along the same lines for my music video.